Search
  • geriberman

Jean-Paul Boiler Suit Coverall to start off #memademay2020


This Jean-Paul Boiler Suit sewing pattern (#jpreadytosew) from Ready To Sew is one of my favourites. I love it so much that I've made 4 versions of it:

It just makes me so happy when I'm wearing these boiler suits. If I'm in a funk, they lift me right out of the abyss. I've even made matching masks to my boiler suits so that I can style it up when taking out the trash during the Covid-19 lockdown. The fit is roomy enough that I don't have to worry about eating my second hamburger for lunch; and the cut is smart enough that it makes me feel I've got my game on in business meetings (especially after that multi-burger meal).


So I guess my take on this pattern is the best way to start off my adventure in #memademay #memademay2020. Zoe of So Zo started Me-Made-May as "a personal challenge to wear your handmade items more often, or in different ways somehow, to help you improve your relationship with your handmade wardrobe." Yes, I'm taking the plunge to be less shy and showcase my me-made garments. Put myself (and my handmade garments) out there. Yay! And I'm starting this blog to coincide with this challenge. Double yay!!


Back to the boiler suit review. This entry will feature the first 2 suits I made. The first one is with sky-blue light cotton canvas with short sleeves:


I sewed up a size 35, and basically didn't make any changes to the pattern except for using a contrasting fabric for the inside collar stand, the inside button plackets, sleeve cuffs and martingale. The contrasting fabric is a cotton print gifted to me by my mom by Robert Kaufman Fabrics, called Geisha's Treasure (D#73150), with an intricate pattern of Japanese fans and flowers.


My second Jean-Paul make is also made with another Robert Kaufman Fabric. I can't remember the name to this one but it has green peacock feathers with gold highlights. The contrasting fabric is an orange/purple Indonesian batik I bought from Bali some 10 years ago.

This time round, I omitted the sleeves and finished the seam with 1-inch bias binding. I also shortened the bodice by an inch so that the waistband sits closer to the waist, which lifted up the drop crotch to a regular crotch.

It was pure joy sewing up these boiler suits. The pattern is well drafted and the instructions clear and precise. The designer of Ready To Sew, Raphaelle Bonamy has sew-alongs to the pattern to guide you through it all. And after sewing up a suit, I felt it cranked up my sewing mojo up a notch. Best thing about this boiler suit: you can jump and dance all you want in it.

Stay tuned for 2 more boiler suits in Part 2 of Jean-Paul. In the meantime, keep dancing.



387 views

©2020 by Geri In Stitches. Proudly created with Wix.com